I haven’t been as good about podcasts this school year, but I did a little podcast binging and these are my top 5.
1. Waking Up with Sam Harris- Of the intellectual dark web members, Sam is the most honest, reasonable and fascinating. He finds ways to engage a myriad of subjects on issues ranging from politics to philosophy and AI. It is always fascinating and sam is incredibly engaging with all of his subjects. The conversations can be longer but they are always worth a listen.
2. Conversations with Tyler – Tyler Cowan is one of the biggest reasons why I started this blog, someone who finds ways to make everything fascinating. His Podcast brings fascinating subjects such as Malcolm Gladwell and Paul Krugman, and asks questions that are incredibly poignant and insightful. It brings about a fascinating conversation, and a highly intellectual one as well.
3. 99% Invisible – I am not an engineer, an architect, or anything in between. However, host Roman Mars always finds a way to make design and architecture absolutely fascinating. From Sears catalog homes, to be the Toronto Raptors NBA jerseys, there is no subject not touched. Unique insights and a terrific voice guide you into some utterly terrific territory. Definitely a listen for all of the beautiful nerds.
4. Colin’s Last Stand: Fireside Chats – Colin Moriarty seemed to have hit rock bottom when he was left his own company Kind Funny. He could have given up, but instead he created his own company, and boy am I happy. A conservative in games media, he has found a way to incorporate politics, and anything else he finds fascinating into a series of great conversations.From small town mayors, to shelter volunteers and political pundits; he seems to always keep his show varied and interesting. If you want a great perspective from those on the conservative side of the aisle and just a fascinating human in general, give this show a listen.
5. This American Life – What else? Ira Glass could read the phone book and I’d want to hear every fax number. Not to mention terrific reporting and content. Zoe Chase and others make this program the staple it is. If you are breathing and haven’t listened to this program, you’re doing something wrong.